Saturday, 29 October 2011

Status 2

This has been a long and very stressful week.  Monday started out fine with our regular blood work and appointment with the transplant team.  Later on I started to get worried because Daphne took a nap at 4pm that went until 8pm and then needed to go to bed at 8:30 already. 

The next day we were out and about lots.  Daphne wasn’t quite her regular happy self; she just seemed to want to nap all day.  In the evening I was definitely worried because she again napped at 4pm and then when she stirred at 7pm she was not happy that I got her up to feed and change her.  She would have preferred to go immediately back to sleep.  When I put her back to bed she was very relieved and fell asleep immediately.  

Wednesday I called the transplant coordinator and she said I needed to bring her into emergency.  At emergency she received albumin and lasix again to help her ascites and she was admitted into hospital. 
It looks like we will have to wait for a transplant with Daphne as an inpatient.  Daphne’s liver has just deteriorated so much she will probably need albumin and IV lasix every other day.  The sleepiness is also because of toxins accumulating in her bloodstream.  A healthy liver should be removing toxins from the body but hers isn’t. 

This afternoon we were let home on pass.  We plan to drop by the hospital tomorrow again but don’t plan on staying again until Monday morning.  It is difficult to wrap my head around what life will be like living in the hospital while we wait.  I had fully anticipated a long stay after transplant but was hoping to be at home until then.  Being admitted to hospital changes Daphne from being status 1 to being status 2.  Her doctor said she is currently the sickest status 2 patient.  This should help Daphne’s chances of getting a liver. 

Just a few pictures of our hospital stay so far. 
  
Rowan visiting Daphne in the emergency room. 
This is my mom.  She took some time off of work to come help us out.
They were having a Halloween party this morning so Brad brought Rowan in her lion costume.  She had a great time at the party. 
And here is our precious angel happy and awake at the Halloween party too (for a little while – she slept through most of it though.)
She sure gets a lot of compliments on her long eyelashes!

Saturday, 22 October 2011

A week without the broviac

This week has been a little busy, but not stressful.  It is a relief not to have that leaky broviac anymore.  The site has been healing wonderfully.  Its not even covered with anything at this point.  That also means she could bathe this week!  She hadn't been able to have anything but bed baths with the broviac.  Here are some pictures of her enjoying her bath time.  Rowan was helping out too.
The drawback of not having the broviac was giving Daphne all the pokes.  She had three pokes this week.  Monday was her weekly blood work.  Daphne's electrolytes were a little off, so she got blood work on Thursday again to check on them.  Friday she had another albumin infusion.  She didn't like the pokes of course, but they did work relatively well.  Before the broviac blood work was a nightmare.  The lab techs were always having trouble finding veins and would often need more than one poke for one set of labs.  Nurses would also have lots of trouble finding veins for IVs, but not this week fortunately.  Here is a picture of Daphne getting her albumin infusion.

Daphne has been a very happy, content baby this week.  We have had a really good week.  Here are some more pictures from this week.  Rowan and Daphne wearing their matching monster pajamas.
Rowan decorating her chocolate house for Halloween. 
Rowan getting ready for her dress-up party at dance class.
Although we had a good week with Daphne we are still eagerly awaiting that special call from the hospital.  Her doctor is too.  Daphne's albumin levels were actually in an acceptable range, but he wanted to top her up to prepare her for transplant.  Even when I would bathe Daphne, I couldn't help but be very careful and thorough, thinking every bath could be her last one before transplant. 

Saturday, 15 October 2011

Broviac removal

This last week has been a busy one.  The dressing on Daphne’s broviac needed to be changed daily, and would still need to be patched up in between with extra gauze when it would leak through. 

Wednesday we ended up taking Daphne to emergency because the broviac site started to bleed quite a bit.  Up until then it was always leaking clear/yellowish fluid.  The dressing was changed and we were sent home. 

Thursday was our clinic appointment with the transplant team.  We went to get blood work done first, but the broviac wouldn’t draw any blood.  It has two lumens on it and one wouldn’t even flush.  We went to our appointment anyway and were then sent to get a chest x-ray and then to get blood at the outpatient lab.  They did a very good job at the lab and only needed to poke Daphne once.  We went back to the clinic again and then we were told they would be admitting Daphne to remove her broviac.  With how much it was leaking infection was a risk, and now with it not working there was no reason to keep it. 

We kept Daphne NPO all day.  That means she was not allowed to eat or drink anything.  Hospital parents know very well the nightmare that is NPO.  Daphne actually handled it pretty well.  At around 4pm they told us just to feed her because it looked like they couldn’t fit her in.  She hadn’t eaten since 8am.  It was very disappointing that we had to starve her all day for nothing.  I have been very pleased with how well Daphne has been treated by everyone in the medical community except for the NPO situations.  It is often not planned well. 

The next day she was put on NPO again and she was able to go into surgery at 11:30am.  Right after surgery she of course was very hungry.  After I fed her she was happy and playful.  After that she did nap a lot.  The last two days were pretty exhausting for her.  While she was admitted she also got some albumin to treat her ascites. 

Today she had her dressing changed again and the site was leaking a lot less.  That was such a relief.  I am glad that the broviac site will have a chance to heal now.  The drawback is that weekly blood work will be much more stressful than it was before. 

The following are some pictures from this week.  Rowan and Daphne getting their faces painted just for fun, Daphne hanging out in the hospital and the last one is the birthday present Rowan had made for me while I was in the hospital with Daphne!




Sunday, 9 October 2011

Some milestones

This week was another good week overall.  Her Monday appointment with the transplant team went very well.  Daphne is just under the 50th percentile for height and weight (after subtracting 0.7 kg for fluid in her tummy.)  The dietician was very encouraged by this.  She said that with most babies with biliary atresia that is not the case at this point. 

Some thing we have been struggling with this week is Daphne’s broviac.  It is leaking quite a bit of fluid.  Daphne just isn’t clotting as she should.  We have been getting the dressing changed often.  We also had some trouble with her ng tube.  Her formula was just too thick for the tiny tube.  This was solved easily with a larger gage tube.  Putting in Daphne’s ng tube sure does cause me a lot of stress.  She has pulled it out a number of times and each time I reinsert it seems more stressful than the last.  Daphne just fights it more and more each time. 

On a happier note, we had two milestones this week.  Daphne got her first tooth.  She has her top, right canine.  I’m hoping she gets the top left canine next, for symmetry and for the Halloween costume possibilities!   Even more exciting news is that on Thursday she scooted on her bum for almost a metre!  Now we are going to need to get serious about baby proofing the house.  Not exactly an easy task with a three year old who loves to collect tiny things such as marbles, pebbles and silly bandz (elastic bands.) 

Here are some pictures of Daphne’s dresser and a quilt given to Daphne from our church with a very special Bible verse on it.  I’ve also included some pictures of us this Thanksgiving long weekend. 

Saturday, 1 October 2011

Some clotting problems.

Daphne’s broviac site has still been leaking quite a bit and so we went to the hospital yesterday to see Dr. Yap and have the dressing changed.  Dr. Yap ordered a plasma infusion to help with her clotting and for her to get a pressure dressing on the site.  She also got some lasix to help with her ascites.  She napped through half of her infusion (so did I actually!)  For the rest of her infusion we played mostly.  Daphne has been a really good happy baby this week. 

Monday, 26 September 2011

Daphne's first 6 months

Daphne was born March 26, 2011. 
We spent 4 days in the hospital treating her jaundice with phototherapy.  This jaundice was due to ABO incompatibility.  Daphne is type A and I am type O. 
When Daphne was 3 weeks old her paediatrician, Dr. Lopatka, thought she still looked a bit jaundiced.  I could not see it, or believe it because I only saw perfect beautiful Daphne.  She also happened to see one of Daphne’s dirty diapers and said the poop was too light.  I knew baby poop was supposed to be yellow, but didn’t realize the shade of yellow was so important.  Although I thought my baby was perfect, I did the blood work the doctor ordered that very day. 

The next day we were told her liver jaundice was too high and biliary atresia was mentioned to us.  We had never heard of it up to that point. 

“Biliary atresia occurs when the bile ducts inside or outside the liver do not develop normally. It is not known why the biliary system fails to develop normally.  The bile ducts help remove waste from the liver and carry salts that help the small intestine break down (digest) fat.  In babies with biliary atresia, bile flow from the liver to the gallbladder is blocked. This can lead to liver damage and cirrhosis of the liver, which is deadly if not treated.”  (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002130/)

The next day we saw a paediatric gastroenterologist, Dr. Yap; he examined her and ordered many blood tests and an ultrasound.  This process took about one week.  I kept hoping something would show up to rule out biliary atresia.  However nothing did.

Daphne was almost 6 weeks old when she had a liver biopsy.  This was so stressful to us at the time. 
The next day we were told the results were consistent with biliary atresia and we met with the surgeon, Dr. Dicken, to discuss surgery.  Daphne needed a procedure called a Kasai.  She was to get this the very next day. 

”In the Kasai procedure, the bile ducts are removed and a loop of intestine is brought up to replace the bile ducts and drain the liver. As a result, bile flows from the small bile ducts straight into the intestine, bypassing the need for the larger bile ducts completely.” (http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/atresia/#procedure)

May 10 is when Daphne had her Kasai.  One day shy of being 6 weeks old.  It was horrible to see her after the Kasai.  So little and with so many tubes and an incision across her entire abdomen…no parent wants to see that.  Dr. Dicken confirmed that once he opened her up it was very obviously biliary atresia.  Her gall bladder and her biliary ducts were completely fibrous tissue.  It was a wonder that any bile got through at all and that her liver still looked good.  We were encouraged to hear that her liver was still in good condition. 
Daphne was a little trooper during her hospital stay.  We held her constantly and in 3 days she was smiling more than ever.  Four days post surgery she was breastfeeding again. 

Six days post surgery Daphne was discharged.    
Over the next while I was monitoring her poop colour like a woman obsessed.  They were soon bright yellow and/or green.  Diaper changing was a joy! 

At 2 months of age Daphne got her first vaccines.  I remember this stage with Rowan and how horrible it made me feel to do that to her.  How it had been the worst thing Rowan had experienced up to that point.  When it was Daphne’s turn I knew how much worst things could get.  Vaccines were such a small thing when considering the surgery, biopsy, blood work, and ivs Daphne had. 
At 10 weeks our happy time at home started to change again.  Daphne’s poops were light yellow once more.  She was admitted into hospital and treated with antibiotics.  She had a mild case of cholangitis.  We were in the hospital for 1 week.  Although her infection went down, the hospital stay was a big blow to us.  Her numbers were not going down as they should.  It was starting to look like the Kasai had not been successful.  (The Kasai is only successful 1/3 of the time.) 

Daphne was sent home on more antibiotics and more vitamins.  I was also told to start supplementing my breastfeeding by giving her a special formula, pregestemil, added to expressed breast milk. 

The formula was a complete disaster.  It is absolutely disgusting.  Daphne hated it.  She refused to take it.  She really would have gone hungry instead of drink it.  Since her weight gain was ok, we gave up on the formula and started giving her MCT oil in a syringe.  She didn’t like that either, but it was easier to give her 3 mL of that than 3 oz of formula. 

At the end of July Daphne had an ultrasound for an enlarged spleen.  The ultrasound showed that Daphne had two spleens!  Dr. Yap says this means she has the congenital form of biliary atresia rather than the acquired form.  This is also when liver transplant was first discussed as not just a possibility but rather as a necessity. 

In the middle of August Daphne’s tummy started to get very big.  This is called ascites and happens due to severe liver disease.   She was prescribed a diuretic which helped instantly.  We even went to Banff for the weekend right after this was prescribed. 
At the end of August her tummy started getting big again and she had another ultrasound.  This ultrasound showed that her main portal vein was blocked.  Daphne was admitted to hospital again.  Dr. Yap told us that a blockage in the main portal vein means that she is no longer a candidate for living donor liver transplantation.  This was a big blow to us.  We were hoping to have Brad or I donate a portion of our liver to her so she wouldn’t have to suffer while waiting for a cadaver liver to turn up.  This also explained why her ascites was getting bad again. 
While in hospital, nurses were unable to get an IV in Daphne’s tiny veins.  Since we needed to treat her ascites, Dr. Yap recommended giving Daphne a broviac.  This is an intravenous catheter.  It is surgically placed to administer medication and also to draw blood from.  It may seem extreme to have a surgery for this.  But she had such frequent blood work that the broviac was a huge relief to me.  No more pokes!
Now that she had the broviac they started to treat her ascites with albumin and lasix.  Albumin is a human blood product produced by the liver.  Albumin helps draw the fluid from her tummy into circulation and the lasix helps remove the fluid through urine. 

A very good thing about this hospitalization was that since we were in hospital her transplant assessment was fast tracked.  I won’t go into all the details but that week and a half Daphne underwent a great deal of tests and we met a lot of people! 

Another development of this last hospitalization was that Daphne got an ng tube.  This tube goes through her nose into her stomach.  We use it to give her pregestimil formula continuously through the night.  This should help her gain weight and also fight the ascites.  I also love that it can be used to give her oral meds without her spitting them all out. 
Her transplant assessment went well over all.  The most stressful part was the development of the blood clot.  The reason it formed is because of the condition of her liver.  The blood cannot flow through the liver well; this causes a back up before the liver in the main portal vein.  Because the blood is flowing slowly there, it tends to clot.  Daphne was put on blood thinners once this was found, because as Dr. Yap said, if the clot was to spread it would be “very bad.”  Something in his tone told me just how bad this would be.  I was later to learn the very bad result would require a multi-organ transplant.  No one explained this to us immediately.  That was for the best I’m sure.  I probably would have freaked out. 

Well at one point during the assessment week it seemed that the clot might have spread, although they did say the flow had improved (confusing indeed!)  Needless to say, this was another big blow to us.  But we kept up with her blood thinners and further tests showed excellent flow.  So much so, that there may not be a clot anymore.  Unfortunately, that is not enough to rule out the presence of one, so she is still not able to have a living donor liver transplant.  The good news is that the transplant she needs is liver only. 

On September 9th she was listed for transplant!  The following are some of the stats regarding her transplant.  She is status 1.  She can receive a liver from blood group A or O.  Her donor needs to be between 5 kg to 60 kg.  She has a PELD of 43.  The average wait time for a liver is 3 months.  Daphne would be the first in our region to get a liver if one became available. 

Since Daphne was listed she has been put on hold on the transplant list for one day.  This was because the diuretics she was on to combat the ascites caused her sodium to drop too low.  Her meds were adjusted and her sodium level soon rose to an acceptable level to get her back on the list. 

Daphne’s next medical event was getting a new broviac.  Her first broviac would no longer draw blood.  A chest x-ray showed that the broviac had come out of the vessel.  Her new broviac does not look very good because of the amount of blood thinners she is on.  The site is very bruised and keeps bleeding.

Last week Daphne’s albumin was low and she was having difficulty sleeping because of her ascites.  She was put on albumin again.  It helped but I have a feeling these albumin treatments will be a regular occurrence. 
To wrap this up…. we come to today, Daphne’s 6 month birthday.  Today Daphne got some more vaccinations.  No more live vaccines though, that would delay a transplant.  Daphne also met with the transplant team.  They are very encouraged by her weight gain so far (7.7 kg today).  And of course they all adore her!  How could you not!  She is gorgeous!  But we are still anxiously awaiting that phone call telling us they have a liver for Daphne.